Monday, January 30, 2017

Down Under!

The South Gippsland Shire Brass Band
Leongatha, Victoria Australia

I continue my wandering around the web looking for a community brass band in Australia.  There appears to be a thriving brass band movement on the continent.  That brings a smile to my face.  I stumbled upon this group on you tube.  The South Gippsland Shire Brass Band has been around for over 120 years.  The group rehearses in the courthouse in Leongatha, and their mission is community entertainment.  Leongatha is about 85 miles Southeast of Melbourne or about 9,500 miles from where I am writing this post.  It is also 6:15 a.m. Tuesday, January 31, 2017 too.  

Check these links for more information about this group.

The musical performance in the video above is a medley of selections from the folk pop group "The Seekers."  I will be honest, I had zero idea who "The Seekers" were.  My knowledge of 1960's pop music is limited to the Beatles, Beach Boys, Monkees, Bob Dylan, and a few other artists.  Shame on me, I know, but when I was a growing up I listened to jazz, classical, and the country or pop music my parents enjoyed listening too like Johnny Cash, Herb Alpert, Roger Miller, Roy Clark, The Four Lads, Dave Major and the Minors to name a few.  I learned something new.

This arrangement by Stephen Duro is great music for a concert in the park.  The band plays the arrangement well, and you can see some heads bobbing along in time with the music.  If you visit their Facebook page you can see this group plays just about anywhere sharing their gift of music with their fellow citizens.  They also have a training band for those interested in learning to play music.  All I can say is nice work ladies and gentleman!  Thank you for sharing your music with us on the web.  




No comments:

Post a Comment