Sunday, February 19, 2017

Perez Prado in Namibia?

Hope Brass Band of Namibia

Much to my surprise through the world wide web, I come across this jam session on the street by the Hope Brass Band.  The video starts out with about 25 seconds of random jamming, nothing coherent until the trumpet player on the left side of the screen plays the opening notes to Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White made famous by Perez Prado in 1955.

According to their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pg/Hope-Brass-Band-890133284340806/about/?ref=page_internal  The Hope Brass Academy was established in 2008 by by founding mother Meriam Uiras.   The goal was to use music to transform the children into responsible adults.

Here is a recording of the original song.  I think these young men and women do a nice job covering the song and making it their own.  The students segue into another song at the end of the clip, but I am not able to come up with the title.  

Fun note, I used to listen to this song regularly growing up.  My parents owned Al Hirt's They're Playing Our Song album.  Here is a third version for you.  He was absolutely awesome in concert back in the late 70's.  I think I was 11 or 12 when I saw him perform.  That makes me old now!

Good music just does not know a boundary.

No comments:

Post a Comment